Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rubiks' Cubes and yarn

Ugh, packing... or maybe its just thinking of packing that seems so daunting!  One piece of advice thatI have heard a lot is that if I think I am going to want something, then bring it.  So I have been trying to figure out what extra things I am going to bring to help me keep sane during my 27 months in Swaziland.
- needles and yarn to knit
- 2 rubiks cubes
- an American flag
- a world map
- soccer ball w pump, needles, juggling net
- my laptop
 I am really looking forward to this weekend, going to Myrtle Beach!!  I am excited to see my sister, brother, and Grandma.  This may be the last time I see my brother before I leave, and I am looking forward to some girl shopping with Patty and Mom.  Hopefully we can find some skirts and dresses to add to my wardrobe!  I can't wait for the beach!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for knitting! What are you going to do about patterns? I'm bringing a few - I think I can improvise the easier stuff (socks, hats, scarves) pretty well and just make my own stuff up. I wonder if we can print stuff? I guess I could always ask people to mail me a pattern I find online if I can't print it! :) I think Mbabane and Manzini have yarn stores, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. knitting stuff is a good idea. I wish I'd brought mine, but I keep forgetting to ask for someone to mail them. blast. you also might want to think of small things to give to your training host family as a thank you. finding the time to buy them before you move to yer permanent site is irritating. & they don't give us that much money during training. maybe little key chains from yer home or a picture of you (or knit them something).

    as far as yarn stores go, from what I hear the yarn quality isn't that awesome. & you can totally print stuff at the internet cafes, but it's something like E5 a page, which gets pricey. if you have yer laptop, then you should just save the pattern as an html file to your flash disk & then look it up on the computer. until you get to the office where you can print stuff for free.

    ps. nice blog layout! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking washclothes for a host family gift - any other suggestions? i have heard from some folks to get gifts over there (wait and see what the family may need). i could do a combination of both, i suppose.

    ReplyDelete