Thursday, March 10, 2011

The little things

Lately I have been trying to become conscious of all the little things that I have taken for granted in my life thus far. Things that seem so normal to me now, I feel that I will have a whole new perspective on in a few months when I am in Swaziland.
I wake up in a warm comfortable bed where it is nice and quiet.  I go to the next room, a nice clean bathroom with running water, not only that, its hot or cold and always clean! I can take a shower whenever I want.  I have been taking longer showers nowadays in preparation, knowing I may not have that simple luxury in Africa.  I blow dry my hair and straighten it.  I go downstairs, head for the kitchen, which my mom has stocked with plenty of food.  When I open the fridge there are always leftovers!  And if there is nothing to eat, regardless of the fully stocked fridge and pantry, there is a grocery store, Chinese food, subway and dunkin next door.  They are so close I don't even need to drive, but if I wanted to drive then the options are limitless
I turn on the tv with hundreds of channels, all in English...and if there is nothing on I can check the dvr or the ondemand channels, and then if I still cant find anything I watch hulu on my laptop.
If its too cold or too hot in the house I can fix the temp at the touch of a button.  And my bedtime is not determined by when the sun goes down.  Thank you electricity! and thanks to all the other things that I don't even realize I am taking for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment