Sunday, March 13, 2011

What is church like in Swaziland?

and why are so many PCVs atheist/agnostic?  I have read a lot of PC blogs in way too LONG nomination process and many volunteers do mention church and how they try to avoid it at all costs.  That question might be a misconception on my part of the PC blog world or the PC bloggers might be a misrepresentation of volunteers' religious views...who knows?!?  I am looking forward to experiencing (at least one) Swazi church service, although I have this impression that it is going to be long, boring, and I will have no idea what is going on!  I will wait until I get to Swaziland to decide on my real impression of their churches.

I only bring this because I went to church this morning and I am always wondering what I will be doing in Swaziland this time next year.  I grew up in a protestant church.  I have a lot of great memories from my church and it has definitely been an inspiration in my life as far as the kind of person I want to be and how I want to live my life.  I don't consider myself to be a very religious person and I despise preach-y people, but I do enjoy the loving, supportive community, and the message to be a good person and to care for each other.

Since I have moved to NJ during my gap year between college and PC, I started attending a church down here, United Methodist Church of Parsippany.  They have been fantastic to me and I really enjoy their service.  They sing a number of the same songs every week, and one truly speaks to me, so will share it.

   "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me;
    Let there be peace on earth,the peace that was meant to be.
    With God our Creator, children all are we.
    Let us walk with each other in perfect harmony.
    Let peace begin with me; let this be the moment now.
   With every step I take, let this be my solemn vow;
   to take each moment,and liveeach moment in peace eternally.
   Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

1 comment:

  1. I hear what yer saying. I think sometimes we do get a little carried away, & yer right to wait & reserve judgment. what I will say is this: this country is what it is today because of a heavy missionary pretense that started a few hundred years ago. people still reference the prophetic dream that the king had where a white guy came & presented him w/ two options: a handful of coins in one hand & a book in the other. he could only chose one, & in the dream he chose the book. & then apparently it happened in real life a short time later.

    my experience has been that of screaming evangelical preachers. of which I do not care for. I identify more w/ pagan beliefs, & try to stay away from any kind of organized religion. it's been a struggle to get people to understand that you can have beliefs w/out putting a name on it. but it's been going better as of late, though I still avoid attending a regular service. (not possible when you go to funerals or night vigils. the service goes on for hours & hours.) managing to avoid the traveling preacher-man on the bus, however, is much more difficult. those guys travel everywhere! & they walk up & down the isle sweating & spitting over everyone in their passionate ministry. it's pretty overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete