Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Culture is still shocking

Peace Corps has three goals we are trying to accomplish throughout our service.  The first is to provide technical assistance and  the other two have to do with cultural exchange, teaching
Swazis about America and vice versa.  It is very common to be asked the question of how you like being in Swaziland?  This is a hard question to answer.  Life in Swaziland is so much different than in the States and working for the Peace Corps is a difficult job since they send us out to rural area with only vague objectives and then expect us to figure out something worthwhile to do for two years.  Overall, Peace Corps is a really good experience even with all its challenges, the other Peace Corps Volunteers are awesome people, and I am making memories here that are going to last a life time. 

When a Swazi asks me the question 'how do you like Swaziland' I answer with the simple response that everyone uses when they travel that 'oh, the people are just great here.'  Is it possible that people are great everywhere?  I have met some really awesome Swazis here, but at times I find Swazis to be rude and lacking a filter of things that are appropriate to say to each other.  This observation is probably just of our different cultures colliding, but some things I hear make my jaw drop.  For example, the other day while walking to my bus stop I stopped to chat with one of my good friends, a sweet girl that I haven't seen in a while.  I happened to be walking with a young mother and her kids.  I stopped to greet my friend, she greeted me and then greeted the Mom I was with by saying (in siSwati) "Hey fatty, you need to go to the gym and start running.  You are fat."  The woman had at least two children and wasn't much bigger than.  I was shocked by the bluntness of the comment and that the woman I was with was not offended at all and just agreed with the comment.  After I picked my jaw off the floor I told my friend that those are not things to say to others, its very insulting, and that she shouldn't say those mean things to people regardless of how big they happen to be.  I'm not sure I got through to her since she kind of just looked at me puzzled, wondering why I was questioning her for a comment that is (unfortunately) normal for them.  I am chalking this experience up to a difference in culture and not using these kinds of exchanges alter my opinion of Swaziland as a whole.  I am sure they have similar reactions when I forget and use my left hand to write, eat, and give money at the shops.

Yesterday I gave Toto, the puppy a bath.  She was confused at first when I put her in the water and when the confusion passed she hated ever second of the bath.  She was crying and barking so loud that my Make came running to see what was wrong.  After I let Toto go, she ran away from me so fast.  Before I was on her team, but now I was the enemy!  She curled up in her US Postal box/bed and was quiet for the rest of the day.  Don't worry though,  when I arrived home after being away all day she was sitting on my stoop waiting for me.  I think I am forgiven.  Toto knows the command 'Phuma!' (Out!) since she is not allowed in my room.  She is starting to learn 'Sit' and we are trying to play fetch, but she seems more interested in getting pet than the ball.

And tomorrow I start my week-long vacation in Durban, South Africa!!!  Indian ocean, here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment