Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Google Earth is so cool!

If you don't have it, you need to download it.  I have been in the Peace Corps office the last couple days for yet another training, so I have had a lot of time to bum around on the internet.  Free Wifi!  Google Earth can give you a better idea of the difference in how people live around the world.  I like to show it to my Swazi friends and Swazi kids because their sense of space and land is so different than in America.  Owning cows is a big deal here.  The more cows, the more wealth.  It is quite common for people to ask me about my cows in America.  They don't understand how people live in houses with a front yard and maybe enough room for a dog to run around the back yard, but that's it.  There are no pastures to keep your cows in the suburbs of Syracuse, NY.  And to be fair, I still don't understand how they can live with so much space.
Obviously the scale of the pictures aren't exactly the same, but the difference is pretty crazy!
North Syracuse with the airport on the bottom right and you can see the NS Junior High with it baseball diamonds in the center.


Sinceni: my home is ton the bottom right and the main road to town is that dirt road along the left side.  The  L-shaped on the bottom left building with the red top has a butchery and a pool table and a shop right above that.  Only 4 people live on my homestead which looks huge compared to the others around me which have more than 10 people living there.
A closer look at my home.  My house is the bottom right and my bathroom is the small one on the bottom left.  All of the trees are fruit trees: mangos, papaya, oranges, guava, bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment