Thursday, June 16, 2011

I made it to Swaziland safely!!

I left Syracuse for Swaziland 10 whole days ago! Wow!! I cannot
believe it! The plane ride from JFK to Johannesburg, South Africa was
15 hours long. The flight was smooth and pretty uneventful, just
long. I came to Swaziland with 38 other Trainees (we don't become
official Volunteers until August) and I am pleased to tell you that
every single person I am with here is genuine and hard working. They
have all become great friends in a very short amount of time. Once
the plane landed, we all hopped on a bus for 10 more hours of travel,
which included a couple pee stops, crossing the border from SA to
Swaziland, and dinner at a hamburger restaurant. I don't know if this
is a Swazi thing or not, but this particular restaurant puts BBQ sauce
and French dressing(I think it was) on their hamburgers.. weird, no
ketchup or mustard in sight… how am I supposed to eat my chips(fries).
It was very clear when we crossed the border of SAfrica that we were
now in Swaziland. South Africa was mostly flat plains and very little
shrubbery. When we crossed the border into Swaziland, the first thing
we see is a big mountain and many more trees and plants. This country
is very beautiful!
The first couple of nights we stayed in the dorms of Ngwane Teacher's
College which is where much of our training sessions are held. It was
justlike beingin college again; they cooked us breakfast, lunch, and
dinner while we were in class all day. The food was different… a lot
of it good, and some of it not so good. A lot of beans, rice, and
corn porridge (looks like mashed potatoes and has no real taste… its
corn flour and water). The beans or meat that was served always had
a nice sauce to pour over the corn porridge or rice… very good!
The stars here are beautiful! We arrived to Ngwane at night and the
first thing I asked was for someone to show me the Southern Cross (the
southern hemisphere's North Star). I feel like I have looked at the
stars in NY from some pretty remote, dark places, but it cannot
compare to the stars I see now!
I just move into my homestay the other day. I will be here for the
next 2 months. My family lives on a the Babe's(father's) family's
homestead. I haven't figured out how many live here. There is about
5 houses, a ton of sheep, cows, chickens, and a rooster that wakes up
around 2:30a. The nuclear family I am with I aMake(mom), Babe(dad),
Bhuti(15yr old brother). My Make is great, super nice and helpful.
She speaks English! I will tell more about my homestead later, but I
got lucky! I have my own little house with electricity and the spigot
with running water is close by.
I am in very good spirits. I miss everyone a little bit, but not
really homesick yet.

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your There.... So much has happened Ill have to FB message you all the crap lol some good crap some bad crap but still in good spirits.. Ive gotten into this habbit of going over to ur sisters house and making dinner with her food.. lol.. she says im a better cook bahahahahaha buts shes the better baker we are like a team.. Any ways im so glad you made it there everyone keeps asking about you and if you got there and I yell at them saying " She wont have internet for TWO WEEKS!" i dont mean to yell but ive said it a hundred times to them, then they ask mme why blah blah blah needless to say i get annoyed with them when its the same ppl and im giving them the same answers hahahahah. Also karma is a bitch lets just say a certain someone was fired this week(you already know who lol) and I find out where im being placed on monday.. Btw guess who texted me yesturday...TOM! Bahahahahha I know right?????? I know exactly what your thinking too hehehe he comes home in two weeks.. We were made for eachother :-) Its gunna happen him and I... P.s Have you taken any pictures? I wanna See what your living in, who is taking you and who these new friends are so i can facebook stalk them and send them lovely messages about how they should take care of you and if not, there will be a blog about "Sommer Takes on Africa. One Plane, One Bus and One hell of attitude that is sure to find her way to making sure Kelly Tooley is Safe" Just sayin :)... Well I hope you having a nice day, We have sun here nothing terribly warm, but nice. I have to go to the Y soon and work! I miss you and love you, I will FB you SOON.... POST SOME PICTURES DAMN IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great...glad you made it safely. So no ketchup for your fries but that's something you'll probably soon forget since you have electricity and water, that is AWESOME!!! Now what's the Wifi speed, have you checked that out! LOL! Looking forward to pics and updates but we'll let you get settled first. Take care, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KELLLY I got my placement today!!!! Looks like I will be moving to Clarksville,TN. I will be at Fort Campbell...and I cant believe I'm doing this.... I Miss you SOOO MUCH! I hope your having the time of your life, I wish you were here to celebrate with me :( but I know you are off saving the world! Love you

    ReplyDelete